For the treatment of external infections of the eye, such as pink eye, and to help relieve symptoms associated with bacterial pink eye.
Optimyxin® contains antibiotics and is used to treat external infections of eye such as bacterial pink eye.
Pink eye is also known as conjunctivitis and can be caused by an allergy, a bacteria or a virus. Common signs of pink eye are:
• Redness in the white of the eye.
• Swelling of the eyelids.
• Watery eyes.
• Itchiness or a feeling of having sand in the eye.
Since bacterial pink eye is very contagious, it is a good idea to begin the treatment with antibiotic eye drops as soon as possible. Optimyxin® treats external infection and helps relive the redness and itchiness associated with bacterial pink eye.
Without treatment, bacterial pink eye may go away by itself in 1 to 2 weeks. To help relieve discomfort, bathe eyes with warm water several times a day and apply warm packs. Clean edges of the infected eye with warm water and cotton balls to remove crusts of dried discharge that may cause the eyelids to stick together.
Pink eye caused by bacteria is accompanied by a thick, yellow-white discharge that may cause the eyelids to stick together, especially upon waking in the morning.
Pink eye caused by virus is often accompanied by a sore throat and/or a tender node in front of the ear, and the discharge tends to be more watery than sticky.
If the pink eye is due to an allergy, it may be accompanied by swollen eyes and other symptoms of allergy, such as a runny nose. It also often occurs during the typical seasons (spring and fall) and usually occurs in both eyes.
Instill one or two drops in the affected eye or eyes, two to four times a day for 7 to 10 days. You should begin to see an improvement in your symptoms within 1 to 2 days. Even though the symptoms of the infection may be relieved within 1 to 2 days, you should use Optimyxin® for 7 to 10 days to completely cure the infection.
Each mL contains polymyxin B (as sulfate) 10,000 units and gramicidin 0.025mg.
Benzalkonium chloride 0.005% (preservative), boric acid, ethyl alcohol, poloxamer 188, sodium hydroxide, water for injection.
Store between 15 and 30°C. Discard within 30 days from opening.
• Overuse of this product may produce increased redness of the eye.
• For external use only.
• Do not use if you are allergic to any ingredient.
• Do not use if solution changes color or becomes cloudy.
• Do not touch tip of bottle to any surface to avoid contamination.
To help avoid side effects and ensure proper use, talk to your healthcare professional before you use Optimyxin®.
Talk about any health conditions or problems you may have, including if:
• You have fever.
• You experience eye pain, changes in vision, continued redness or irritation of the eye, or if the condition worsens or persists, consult a physician.
• You have glaucoma, do not use this product except under the advice and supervision of a physician.
• Your vision may be blurred for a few minutes after using the product. Do not drive or operate machinery until you can see clearly.
• There is no improvement within two days of starting treatment, stop use and consult a physician.
* This product may not be suitable for some people. Always read the product labels and follow the instructions.