For the treatment of external infections of the ear, such as swimmer’s ear, and to help relieve symptoms.
Optimyxin® contains antibiotics and is used to treat external infections of the ear such as bacterial swimmer's ear.
Swimmer’s ear, also known as otitis externa, is an infection and inflammation of the outer ear canal. It typically affects people who swim frequently or otherwise get water in their ears. It is also associated with people who regularly use cotton-tipped swabs in the ears. The ear’s normal acidic environment can be disrupted by constant wetness or the scraping of a cotton-tipped swab, creating conditions which allow bacteria to invade the ear canal causing infection and inflammation.
Pain especially when the earlobe is pulled or upon chewing.
Drainage of fluid from the ear.
Possible decreased hearing since the ear is full of infected material.
Some redness of the outside part of the ear.
Most cases of swimmer’s ear can be treated with antibiotic ear drops such as Optimyxin®.
Instill one or two drops in the affected ear or ears, two to four times a day for 5 to 7 days. You should avoid getting water in the ear until the treatment is complete. You should begin to see an improvement in your symptoms within 1 to 2 days. Even though the symptoms of the infection may be relieved within 1 to 2 days, you should use Optimyxin® for 5 to 7 days to completely cure the infection.
Each mL contains polymyxin B (as sulfate) 10,000 units and gramicidin 0.025mg.
Benzalkonium chloride 0.005% (preservative), boric acid, ethyl alcohol, poloxamer 188, sodium hydroxide, water for injection.
Store between 15 and 30°C. Discard within 30 days from opening.
• For external use only.
• Do not use if you are allergic to any ingredient.
• Do not use if solution changes color or becomes cloudy.
• Do not touch tip of bottle to any surface to avoid contamination.
To help avoid side effects and ensure proper use, talk to your healthcare professional before you use Optimyxin®.
Talk about any health conditions or problems you may have, including if:
• You have fever.
• You experience severe pain, hearing loss, or if the condition worsens or persists, consult a physician.
• There is no improvement within two days of starting treatment, stop use and consult a physician.
* This product may not be suitable for some people. Always read the product labels and follow the instructions.